Where to get the wireless security key. Password search on hardware.
- Types of network encryption
- How to find out your Wi-Fi network security key
- What are the types of network encryption
- How to find out the network security key wai file
- Get the security key in the Router control panel
- Software to learn the security key
- How to find out the network security key in Windows
- How to find out the network security key through the computer tray
- How to find out the network security key through the network management center
- How to find out the network security key through the router settings
Network security key is a password, using which you can connect to a working Wi-Fi networks . Safe operation directly depends on it. wireless network . Its main task is to protect the user (host) Wi-Fi from unauthorized connection to it. It may seem to some that such a connection, in general, will not greatly interfere with work on the Internet. In fact, it is fraught with a significant decrease in the speed of the Internet. Therefore, the creation of a password must be given the closest attention.
In addition to the complexity password created , the type of data encryption greatly affects the security of a Wi-Fi wireless network. The importance of the type of encryption is due to the fact that all data transmitted within a particular network is encrypted. Such a system allows you to protect yourself from unauthorized connection, since without knowing the password, a third-party user with the help of his device simply cannot decipher the data transmitted through the wireless network.
Types of network encryption
Currently Wi-Fi routers use three different types encryption.
They differ from each other not only in the number of characters available for creating a password, but in other equally important features.
The most unreliable and less popular type of encryption today is WEP. In general, this type of encryption was used earlier and is rarely used now. And it's not just the moral old age of this type of encryption. He is really quite unreliable. Users using devices with WEP encryption have a fairly high chance that their own network security key will be hacked by a third-party user. This view Encryption is not supported by many modern Wi-Fi routers.
The latter two types of encryption are much more reliable and much more commonly used. At the same time, users have the opportunity to choose the level of network security. So, WPA and WPA2 support two types of security checks.
One of them is designed for ordinary users and contains one unique password for all connected devices.
The other is used for enterprises and significantly increases the level of Wi-Fi network reliability. Its essence lies in the fact that for each individual device creates its own unique security key.
Thus, it becomes almost impossible without permission to connect to someone else's network.
However, when choosing your future router, you should opt for the model that supports WPA2 encryption. It is explained by its greater reliability in comparison with WPA. Although, of course, WPA-encryption is of sufficient quality. Most routers support both of these types of encryption.
How to find out your Wi-Fi network security key
There are several ways to find out your security key from a wireless network:
Learn the security key Wi fi is necessary in order to connect to a wireless network requesting a password. It is also necessary to be able to protect the network signal from interception by other users and lovers of freebies living in the neighborhood, since the signal coverage radius usually extends to several apartments and floors. For these purposes, it will take at least one computer or laptop that is currently connected to the network.
What are the types of network encryption
- WEP is considered to be not a particularly reliable type of encryption and is currently used relatively infrequently. This type of encryption is not supported by many routers and is extremely vulnerable, that is, you can easily crack a password without much difficulty.
- WPA and WPA2 are much more secure forms of encryption. They are supported by most modern routers and are used for the security of both regular users and entire enterprises.
The first way: the easiest
Method two: how to find out the password through the router settings
Method three: how to find out the password using the phone
- If you want to know the Wi-Fi network security key, you can also do this using your phone. For smartphone owners on Android base you first need to get special ROOT - rights that allow you to make advanced changes to the device settings.
- It goes without saying that the phone must have a wi-fi module in order to be able to connect to the wireless network.
- Through any file manager need to enter root folder “Data” - “Wifi”.
- This folder will contain the file “wpa_supplicant” with the extension “.conf”. Open it with any text editor and in the “PSK” line you will see the security key, which, in fact, was required to find out.
To protect the WiFi network from unauthorized access, a network security key was invented. It prevents unauthorized connection to the network, and also prevents traffic interception (even if the attacker receives it, he will not be able to use this information, as it will be securely encrypted).
In essence, a network security key is a set of characters with which a connection is encrypted between all devices included in local network . There are two common types of data encryption in WiFi networks - WPA and WPA2. The first is now practically not used due to security problems. However, the process of obtaining the key does not depend on the type of encryption.
Before a connection is established with the network, between your device and the router, the router will require the correct response to the invitation, which, in fact, is the security key. Simply put, the WiFi security key is the password from the wireless network.
Occasionally, a situation may occur when the owner (or full user) of the network, for example, forgets the password from WiFi, as a result loses access to it (cannot connect). But it's not a problem. Restore access is very simple. Often for this you just need to reset the settings of the router. But if for some reason it is impossible to throw the configuration of the router to default (default settings), then you can go the other way.
How to find out the network security key wai file
So, suppose that the Wi-Fi network security key has been forgotten. How can I know it now? The method depends on which platform runs client device . Below will be considered two systems - Windows ( latest versions ) and Android, and will also be described a method of obtaining a key from the control panel of the router.
Operating theater windows system It stores information about all connections that it has ever established (unless, of course, the user intentionally erased this data).
To get a security key for WiFi you need to go to the "Network Control Center and shared "(Click on the corresponding icon on the taskbar). After that in the displayed list you will need to find the name desired network , click on it, and select in the appeared context menu item "Properties". In the window that opens, you will need to tick the checkbox with the label “Display Input Characters” and then the required password will be displayed in the text box “Network Security Key”.
Find out the network security key for Android
And now let's consider another question: network security key how to find out on Android. Here, it should be noted, the process of obtaining a password from WiFi is somewhat more complicated than on desktop Windows.
It’s impossible to pull it out through the standard system interface, so you will need to look for the key in system files . But there is one caveat - access to them can be obtained only when Root is received on the device. The method of obtaining superuser rights depends on the device model (relevant information can be obtained on specialized sites).
But suppose there is a Root on the phone / tablet. In this case, you will additionally need to install a third-party file manager, with which you can access system partition . The most popular such application is the Root Explorer (distributed for free through Google play ).
After installation, you will need to open the application and grant it superuser rights. Then you need to go to the folder located at: data / music / wifi. It will contain many files, but wifi passwords are stored only in one of them - wpa_supplicant.conf. Open it with any application that can read text documents (for example, through a web browser) and look for the name you need to network. Next to it will be present and the desired security key.
It seems that it is difficult, but in fact - not very. However, if you do not want to look for this data yourself, you can use special application and ease the task, but more on that below.
Get the security key in the Router control panel
To find out the WiFi security key in the router's control panel, you need to first connect to it. To do this, find out the IP address of the device (it is usually written on a sticker located on the bottom of the equipment). If it's not there, then from the computer under running windows enter the ipconfig command, and look for the “primary gateway”, the value of which will be the address of the router.
The resulting IP is entered into the address bar of the browser, in the welcome dialog box we enter the username and password, and log in. Next, we find the Wireless tab, and the Wireless Security subsection. There we are looking for the field with the PSK Password label - what is written in it is the security key.
It should be noted that the name of sections may differ depending on the model of the router. Also in the panels of some routers, before the corresponding interface elements appear, you must click on “Advanced Settings”.
Software to learn the security key
For Android devices on Google Play market There are many applications that allow you to extract information about security keys. And all of them, it should be noted, require root-rights. The most popular of them is wifi program Pass - it is free, and its interface is very simple.
After downloading, you will need to run it and then grant it the required privileges. When this is done, a list of networks to which the device has ever connected is displayed. We are looking for the name of the desired WiFi, and tap on the icon with the image of the eye, after which the security key will be displayed on the screen.
It should be noted that the list may not be the desired network. Do not worry - tap on the button with the arrows in the upper right corner of the screen will update the list, after which the name of the desired wifi file will be displayed on the screen.
Software for getting a security key from someone else's WiFi under Windows: The easiest way to get a security key from someone else's WiFi is to use brute force password retrieval applications. For Windows, the most popular, sharpened for these purposes, the program is Aircrack-ng, and for Android - WIBR. How to use them, you can learn from the manuals, which are in the Internet a great many.
It should be noted that the use of relevant programs is punishable by law.
If you have forgotten the password from the wireless network to which you are currently connected, you can easily find it through your computer without downloading third-party software. This situation is often encountered when guests come to you and ask to use the Wi-Fi network, and you connected it so long ago that you forgot all the passwords. If you have a Windows operating system, then you get two additional ways find out the network security key through the computer. In other situations it is better to watch it in the browser through the settings of the router. Look at all the options in this article and choose the most convenient.
How to find out the network security key in Windows
This operating system is quite flexible, so you can easily see the passwords and keys that they themselves entered. You just need to have access to the computer to which the Wi Fi network is connected.
How to find out the network security key through the computer tray
- Most quick way find out wifi password. Just find the network tray icon in your computer. It is located near the date and time, it may look like an antenna or a network sign on the phone.
- Select the network from which you want to learn the password. Your computer must be connected to it.
Click right click mouse by its name.
- Select "Properties" in the list that appears.
- A window will open in which your password is recorded. By default, password characters are protected by display settings. Check the box next to the words “Display Input Signs” to see the password.
How to find out the network security key through the network management center
If you can not find the password in the previous way for any reason. You can get into the properties window of this network in another way.
- Open the computer tray and click on the networks icon again. Click on the link "Network and Sharing Center".
- Here you will see the connected wireless network, you need to follow the link in the middle of the window.
- In the window that appears, select the "Wireless Network Properties".
- Now go to the “Security” tab.
- You are in a familiar window with a password for a Wi Fi connection. Check the box to display the symbols and find out your key from the wireless network.
How to find out the network security key through the router settings
This option fits all operating systems , since you are working with the router directly.
- You can enter the settings of the router or router through a browser. It is enough to enter the following port in the address bar: 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.1.1
- Password and login for all routers by default “admin” without quotes. If you changed this parameter, enter your username and password.
- Once in the menu, select "Wireless Mode".
- Now go to the Wireless Security tab.
- Here is the password from the Wi-Fi network in the item "Wireless Network Password". Write it down and keep it in a safe place to remember.
How can I know it now?